Adventures of The DJBC Happy Hour

DJBC Adventures is the official blog for the radio show, "The DJBC Happy Hour" and it has Extra Features, including photography, as well as other news and information, including the monthly Networking Calendar.

The show airs Mondays at 8PM on WCRS LP FM, an all-volunteer operated radio station which can be heard at 102.1 FM (NE Columbus) and 98.3 FM (Central Columbus) in Columbus, Ohio. You can listen to the show and download past shows online as well as http://wcrsfm.org.

About BC
About the Show
Links

Toursday: High Street (University District):
High Street is the main northbound-southbound road through Franklin County, and is goes right through the Ohio State University Campus.  The Old North Columbus stretch (from Lane Avenue to Dodridge Street) was originally North Columbus, but once the neighborhood was annexed into Columbus, some of the street names were changed.  The areas north and south of the University have nightclubs and bars that are filled on the weekends with Ohio State students and young professionals.  Autumn Saturday afternoons, High Street is bumper-to-bumper traffic from Downtown to Clintonville, during Ohio State Buckeye home football games.  Here are some of the High Street happenings in the University District, from Arcadia Avenue to Fifth Avenue.

- Ramlow Block (2600 block of N. High St.)
- Blue Danube (2439 N. High St.)
- Pavey Block (2259-67 N. High St.)
- Northwood-High Building (2231 N. High St.)
- Used Kids Records/Former University Movie House (1980 N. High St.)
- Wexner Center for the Arts (1871 N. High St.)
- Ohio Union (1739 N. High St.)
- South Campus Gateway (N. High St., between 9th & 11th Avenues)
- Northside Branch – Columbus Metropolitan Library (1423 N. High St.)
- The York (former York Masonic Temple) (1276 N. High St.)

For our COTA Bus-Friendly People (such as myself): The OSU Corridor on High Street between 5th Avenue and Hudson Street, is one of the most traveled bus areas outside of Downtown Columbus.  There are several routes that service the Ohio State Campus, including on High Street itself.

Line 2 (North High Street) goes up and down High Street, with some trips ending at a new turnaround just north of the Graceland Shopping Center, other trips heading north on High Street go to Worthington.  Line 2 trips heading south on High head downtown, with most trips going east on Main Street to Bexley, Whitehall, and/or Reynoldsburg.

Line 21 (Night Owl) goes up High Street from Broad Street to the Park of Roses three nights a week (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday), going through the OSU Campus area.

Line 31 (Worthington Express) makes stops only at High and 5th, High and Chittenden, High and 15th, High and 18th (Southbound), High and Woodruff (Northbound), and High and Hudson, on its way up High Street to Crosswoods Center in Worthington.

Line 18 (OSU/Kenny Road) goes up High Street between 12th Avenue and Woodruff Avenue, going through Victorian Village and the OSU Campus, before going up Kenny Road and Bethel Road, with some trips ending at Tuttle Mall in Dublin, and others ending at Bethel & Sawmill Roads.

Lines 80 (OSU/Lennox) and 84 (OSU/Arlington/Hilliard) go down High Street southbound only between Woodruff and 12th.  Line 80 goes around the Main Campus to Lennox Town Center on weekends and late weeknights only, while Line 84 runs weekdays only from OSU to Kingsdale Shopping Center in Upper Arlington, with some trips going to Hilliard.

Line 8 (Hamilton Avenue) goes up High Street from Downtown to the South Campus Gateway, before turning at 11th Avenue and going through the Linden and Northland neighborhoods.  Line 8 goes south on High from Chittenden Avenue through Downtown, before going south through German Village.

Next Toursday (April 24th): German Village

Toursday – A Trip Around…The Ohio State University Campus:

Here are some of the many buildings that are on the Ohio State University Campus, there are so many buildings on this large campus, that it was hard to pick just ten (okay, nine buildings and The Oval).  No wonder why those crazy Buckeyes love going to school on this campus.


- Recreational and Physical Activities Center
- St. John Arena
- William Oxley Thompson Library
- Fisher College of Business
- John Glenn School of Public Affairs
- The Oval
- Orton Hall
- The Faculty Club
- University Hall
- Enarson Hall

A Trip Around Columbus: The University District

The University District is the neighborhood surrounding the Ohio State University campus.  The Old North Columbus neighborhood used to be North Columbus, before it was annexed into Columbus.  In 1873, the Ohio Agricultural and Mining University was founded on land owned by William Neil.  This small university would grow over the next several decades, and is now one of the largest universities in America, the Ohio State University.  The neighborhood, between the Short North Arts District and Clintonville, is home to the city’s oldest-standing house, the Beers Log Cabin, as well.

The University District has a mix of home styles from the late 19th and early 20th Century, throughout the neighborhood.

Neighborhoods in the University District include Iuka Ravine (named after the Battle of Iuka), Glen Echo, Old North Columbus, Dennison Place, The Circles, NECKO, Indianola Terrace, Northwood Park, The Peach District, and Weinland Park.

CITY: Columbus
SCHOOL DISTRICT: Columbus City Schools
SCHOOLS (other than Ohio State): North International High School (100 Arcadia Avenue); Weinland Park School (175 E. 7th Ave.), Metro High School (1929 Kenny Road)
BUS ACCESSIBLE: Yes (COTA – Line 2: North High Street, Line 4: Indianola Avenue, Line 5: West Fifth Avenue, Line 7: Neil Avenue/OSU, Line 8: Hamilton Avenue, Line 18: OSU/Kenny, Line 21: Night Owl, Line 80: OSU/Lennox, Line 81: Hudson/Ohio, Line 82: OSU/Grandview, Line 84: OSU/Arlington/Hilliard, and Line 96: Fifth Avenue; Express Lines 31 Worthington Express and 66 OSU/Hilliard Express)

LANDMARKS/POINTS OF INTEREST:
Battelle Institute (505 King Avenue)
Bill Davis Stadium (560 Borror Drive)
The Faculty Club (181 Oval Drive South)
Fawcett Center (2400 Olentangy River Rd.)
French Field House (460 Woody Hayes Drive)
Gateway Film Center (1550 N. High St.)
Godman Guild (303 E. 6th Ave.)
Jack Nicklaus Museum (2355 Olentangy River Rd.)
Lennox Town Center (Olentangy River Rd., between Chambers Rd. & Kinnear Rd.)
Northside Branch of Columbus Metropolitan Library (1423 N. High St.)
Ohio Stadium (411 Woody Hayes Drive)
Ohio Union (1739 N. High St.)
RPAC (337 W. 17th Ave.)
Schottenstein Center/Value City Arena (555 Borror Drive)
St. John Arena (410 Woody Hayes Drive)
Thompson Library (1858 Neil Ave.)
Tuttle Park & Recreation Center (240 W. Oakland Ave.)
Weinland Park (4th St. & 6th Ave.)
Wexner Center for the Arts & Mershon Auditorium (1871 N. High St.)
Wexner Medical Center (410 W. 10th Ave.)
Wild Goose Creative (2491 Summit St.)

LINKS:
Dennison Place/The Circles: http://www.universitydistrict.org/dennison-place-the-circles.html
Fisher College of Business: http://fisher.osu.edu
Gateway Film Center: http://www.gatewayfilmcenter.com
Glen Echo: http://www.facebook.com/GlenEchoNeighbors/
Godman Guild: http://www.godmanguild.org
John Glenn School of Public Affairs: http://glennschool.osu.edu
NECKO (Neil Eighth Cannon King Organization): http://necko-neighborhood.blogspot.com/p/about.html
Northwood Park: http://www.universitydistrict.org/northwood-park.html
Old North Columbus: http://www.universitydistrict.org/old-north-columbus.html (or) http://oldnorthcolumbus.com/
The Ohio State B*ckeyes: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com
The Ohio State University: http://www.osu.edu
The Peach District: http://www.universitydistrict.org/peach-district.html
Simply Living: http://www.simplyliving.org
The South Campus Gateway: http://www.southcampusgateway.com
University Area Commission: http://www.universityarea.org
University District: http://www.universitydistrict.org
Weinland Park: http://www.weinlandparkcivic.org
Wexner Center for the Arts: http://www.wexarts.org
Wild Goose Creative: http://www.wildgoosecreative.com
WOSU Public Media: http://www.wosu.org

The 500th Tumblr Post of DJBC Adventures

It was three years ago this week that The DJBC Happy Hour debuted on WCRS-FM.  Through 111 shows in three years, we have celebrated 30 years of MTV, 50 years of the Beatles, and 200 years of Columbus (Ohio).  We have made Christmas in July a tradition in Columbus radio.  We have turned Thanksgiving into a roast of the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry.  And we have toured the communities of Columbus in “Toursday” and “Columbus Bicentennial Minute/A Trip Around Columbus”.

Tonight on the show, we turn another year older.  There are no fireworks, like with the 100th Episode tribute, or the “Year-in-Review” shows.  It’s just a normal Monday.

On the Tumblr blog, we have highlighted neighborhoods in Columbus, shared happenings around town (for a while, and then just networking events), and dabbled with The DJBC Happy Hour Express, a mini-version of The DJBC Happy Hour.

What will the next 500 posts bring?  More of the same?  A new direction?  That is for me to figure out over the next 500 posts.

One feature on the blog is “Toursday”, which is a trip through a community in Columbus on Thursday (hence the name “Toursday”).  There are six more this spring, before a summer break, and then there will be 12 more Toursdays in the fall.

I can tell you one (really two, but they go together) thing that will happen on the blog this year.  The nominations for both The Bryan Awards and Silver Garbage Awards will be revealed on this blog in early July.  Who will be up for the covetous Bryan Award for Best New Series?  Which of the worst shows on television will be up for Silver Garbage Awards?  Find out then.

Cheers to 500 posts on the DJBC Adventures blog, and to three years of The DJBC Happy Hour!

Toursday: Churches in Linden:
There are a lot of churches in the Linden area.  I wasn’t able to get a lot of them, due to time constraints, and the tighter deadlines for this week’s Toursday, so here are the few that could be included before the deadline that are in the Linden neighborhood (hopefully I can edit in a couple more later).

- St. James the Less Church (1652 Oakland Park Ave.)
- St. Augustine & Gabriel Church (1550 E. Hudson St.)
- McKendree United Methodist Church (3332 Cleveland Ave.)
- The Good Shepherd Baptist Church (1555 E. Hudson St.)
- Bethel AME Church (2021 Cleveland Ave.)
- New Salem Baptist Church (2956 Cleveland Ave.)
- Oakland Park United Methodist Church (994 Oakland Park Ave.)
- Linden Lutheran Church (1234 Oakland Park Ave.)

Next Toursday (April 17th): The University District

 

Toursday/Cleveland Avenue (Linden):

Cleveland Avenue is the main northeast corridor in Columbus.  The road starts in the Discovery District, and ends in Westerville at Polaris Parkway.  The four-mile corridor in Linden, which encompasses unincorporated parts of Clinton Township, is the main commercial district of Linden. 

In the early 2000s, the corner of Cleveland and 11th Avenues was redeveloped into a gateway for the Linden area, as old, dilapidated buildings were torn down and replaced with a police substation, office and retail spaces, and the Linden Café.  Much of the area is blighted, with vacant and abandoned residential and commercial spaces, mostly south of Weber Road.

There are small Somali businesses on Cleveland Avenue, especially in the area around the Northern Lights Shopping Center.  The Northern Lights Shopping Center opened in 1954 at Cleveland Avenue and Innis Road, and is one of the oldest shopping centers in the Columbus area.

Northern Lights Shopping Center (Cleveland Avenue & Innis Road)
McKendree United Methodist Church (3332 Cleveland Avenue)
War Memorial (Intersection of Cleveland Avenue & Westerville Road)
Sunshine Corner Pocket Park (SW Corner of Cleveland & Genessee Avenues)
Ama Vera’s Garden (2400 block Cleveland Avenue)
New Harvest Café (1675 Arlington Avenue, SW corner of Cleveland & Arlington Avenues)
Linden Branch – Columbus Metropolitan Library (2223 Cleveland Avenue)
Linden-Cleve Theater (1754 Cleveland Avenue)
Fire Station 18 (Cleveland & 15th Avenue)
Four Corners (Cleveland & 11th Avenue)

COTA Bus Service (for our Transit Friendly followers): The # 1 Cleveland Avenue bus goes through the Linden area, with some trips going to Westerville, while other trips go through the Minerva Park/Northland Area to Dublin-Granville Road (State Route 161).  The # 1 route services Columbus State Community College, Mount Carmel-Saint Ann’s Hospital, and is within walking distance to Otterbein University.  The # 1 Cleveland Avenue connects with the # 1 Livingston Avenue in Downtown Columbus, which goes east on Livingston Avenue through the Near South Side of Columbus to the Far East side of Columbus. 

Other buses going on Cleveland Avenue in Linden are # 8 Hamilton Avenue, which goes up and down Cleveland in South Linden from 11th to 17th Avenues, before going up Hamilton Avenue to Hudson, and through the North Linden and Northland neighborhoods.  Going south on Cleveland, the # 8 Hamilton goes past the Ohio State Fairgrounds, OSU Campus, and Short North, before connecting with # 8 Frebis downtown, which goes through the South Side. 

Line # 83 Oakland Park/Weber goes up Cleveland from Weber Road (or Oakland Park Avenue) to the Northern Lights Shopping Center.  Line # 83 alternates between Weber Road and Oakland Park Avenue from Indianola Avenue in Clintonville to Cleveland Avenue, with trips going from Northern Lights, through Clintonville, to the Kingsdale Shopping Center in Upper Arlington. 

Line # 87 Cassady Avenue goes up Cleveland Avenue in the North Linden/Clinton Township dual zone between Innis Road and Cooke Road (as does Line # 9 Leonard-Brentnell on Sundays only). 

There are four express lines (27 Brooksedge, 35 Tamarack, 37 Westerville, and 40 New Albany Business Park) that make limited stops on Cleveland Avenue, before going their separate ways (27 & 37 go up Cleveland to State Route 161, 35 to Cooke Road, and 40 to Innis Road).

Toursday: Communities of Linden & The Near North Side:

Since the “A Trip Around Columbus” was not just the Linden area, here are some of the communities that are around Linden in the Near North Side of Columbus, as well as neighborhoods in the Linden area.

- Milo-Grogan (south of Linden and east of Italian Village & Weinland Park, founded by two men, Milo and Grogan; The neighborhood took a hit when Interstate 71 was built smack dab through the middle of the neighborhood, literally)
- Brittany Hills (along Sunbury Road, north of Ohio Dominican University)
- Shepard (north of Eastgate, ambiguous to whether it’s Near North or Near East, or just East Side, Ohio Dominican University is located just north of Shepard, named after Dr. William Shepard and his sanitarium, on the site of the Shepard Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library)
- South Linden (Linden from the south side of Hudson Street going south)
- Kenmore Park (A North Linden neighborhood just west of Cleveland Avenue, near Weber Road)
- Clinton Township (Parts of North Linden are unincorporated parts of Clinton Township, which includes the Cleveland Avenue corridor from Oakland Park Avenue to about a couple of blocks north of Cooke Road)
- North Linden (Linden from the north side of Hudson Street going north to Cooke and Ferris Roads)
- Americrest-American Addition (An abandoned neighborhood along Joyce Avenue, between 5th and 17th Avenues)
- Woodland-Holt (A neighborhood along Woodland Avenue, just south of Mock Road)
- The Fairgrounds (While not a neighborhood, it is the “island” between Linden and the University District between 11th Avenue and Hudson Street, that is home to the Ohio State Fairgrounds, Ohio Expo Center, Ohio Historical Society, and Crew Stadium)

A Trip Around Columbus: Linden

The Linden area is a neighborhood on the Northeast side of Columbus, Ohio.  In 1901, the Village of Linden Heights was an unincorporated part of Columbus, near Clinton Township.  Harbor Road (Cleveland Avenue) was the main road through Linden.  The Westerville Plank Road was a toll highway to Westerville that started in present day North Linden.  When Linden Heights was annexed into Columbus, the area was developed and the community around it was formed.  Linden was a prosperous area until the early 1960s, when Interstate 71 was constructed along the western side of the neighborhood, and families started moving out of Linden.  The construction of the Northern Lights Shopping Center in 1954 and the construction of Northland Mall in 1964 were two negative blows to the mom-and-pop shops on Cleveland Avenue.  Over the next couple of decades, families moved away from Linden to neighborhoods in the suburbs.  In the 1980s and 1990s, the Cleveland Avenue corridor in South Linden was nothing little of a ghost town.


In the early 2000s, the corner of Cleveland and 11th Avenues was redeveloped into a gateway for the Linden area, as old, dilapidated buildings were torn down and replaced with a police substation, office and retail spaces, and the Linden Café.


CITY: Columbus
SCHOOL DISTRICT: Columbus City Schools
SCHOOLS: Columbus Alternative High School (2632 McGuffey Rd.), Linden McKinley 7-12 STEM Academy (1320 Duxberry Ave.); Linden STEM Elementary (2626 Cleveland Ave.), South Mifflin K-6 STEM Academy (2355 Middlehurst Dr.), Como Elementary School (2989 Reis Ave.), North Linden Elementary School (1718 E. Cooke Rd.), Columbus Global Academy (former Lin-Moor Middle School) (2001 Hamilton Ave.), Hamilton STEM Academy (2047 Hamilton Ave.), and Adult Education Center (2323 Lexington Ave.)
BUS ACCESSIBLE: Yes (COTA – Line 1: Cleveland Avenue, Line 6: Mount Vernon Avenue, Line 8: Hamilton Avenue, Line 9: Leonard-Brentnell, Line 16: Long Street, Line 81: Hudson-Ohio, Line 83: Oakland Park/Weber, Line 87: Cassady Avenue, and Line 96: Fifth Avenue; Express Lines: Line 27 Brooksedge Express, Line 29 Polaris Express, Line 35 Tamarack Express, Line 37 Westerville Express, and Line 40 New Albany Business Park Express)
MAJOR STREETS: Cleveland Avenue, Hudson Street, Weber Road, Oakland Park Avenue, 17th Avenue, 11th Avenue, Joyce Avenue, Westerville Road, Ferris Road, and Cooke Road

LANDMARKS/PLACES OF INTEREST:
(NOTE: This includes the Near North Side neighborhoods of Shepard, American Addition, and Milo-Grogan, as well as the campus of Ohio Dominican University)
Columbus Crew Stadium: 1 Black & Gold Boulevard
Columbus Idea Foundry: 1158 Corrugated Way, Milo-Grogan (moving to Franklinton in 2015)
ECDI: 1655 Old Leonard Ave., Near North
Cooke Park & Feddersen Recreation Center: 3911 Dresden St.
Linden Branch, Columbus Metropolitan Library: 2223 Cleveland Ave.
Linden Park & Recreation Center: 1254 Briarwood Ave.
Milo Park & Recreation Center: 862 E. 2nd Ave., Milo-Grogan
New Harvest Urban Arts Café: 1675 Arlington Ave.
Northern Lights Branch, Columbus Metropolitan Library: 4093 Cleveland Avenue
Northern Lights Shopping Center: Cleveland Avenue, between Huy Road & Elmore Avenue
Ohio Dominican University: 1216 Sunbury Rd., Shepard
The Ohio Expo Center: 717 E. 17th Ave.
The Ohio Historical Center: 800 E. 17th Ave.
St. Stephen’s Community House: 1500 E. 17th Ave.
Shepard Branch, Columbus Metropolitan Library: 790 N. Nelson Rd., Shepard
Third Hand Bike Co-Op: 979 E. 5th Ave., Milo-Grogan
Windsor Park & Recreation Center: 1250 Windsor Ave.

LINKS:
American Addition: http://www.facebook.com/AmericanAddition
American Addition, Stories of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJyP-mbqdcc
Columbus Crew: http://www.thecrew.com
Columbus Idea Foundry: http://www.columbusideafoundry.com
Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority: http://www.cmhanet.com
ECDI: http://www.ecdi.org
Greater Linden Development Corporation: http://www.greaterlinden.org
Kenmore Park Civic Association: http://www.kenmorepark.com
Milo Arts: http://www.miloarts.com
New Harvest Urban Arts Café: http://www.newharvestuac.com
North Linden: http://www.northlinden.org
Ohio Dominican University: http://www.ohiodominican.edu
Ohio Exposition Center: http://www.ohioexpocenter.com
Ohio Historical Society: http://www.ohiohistory.org
Ohio State Fair: http://www.ohiostatefair.com
St. Stephen’s: http://www.saintstephensch.org
Third Hand Bicycle Co-Op: http://www.thirdhand.org

 

Waiting to get married is the new normal.  55 years ago, three out of every five young adults (18-29) were married.  Today, only one out of five.
rollingstone:

Tales from the Millennials’ sexual revolution.

Waiting to get married is the new normal.  55 years ago, three out of every five young adults (18-29) were married.  Today, only one out of five.

rollingstone:

Tales from the Millennials’ sexual revolution.

Downtown: The Churches of Downtown

Here are 10 Churches in Downtown Columbus.  Most of them were built in the 19th Century, as most people lived in Downtown Columbus until the turn of the 20th Century.

- Trinity Lutheran Church (404 S. 3rd St.)
- First Congregational Church (444 E. Broad St.)
- Broad Street United Methodist Church (501 E. Broad St.)
- St. John Evangelical Protestant Church (59 E. Mound St.)
- St. Joseph Cathedral (212 E. Broad St.)
- Holy Cross Church (200 S. 5th St.)
- St. Patrick Church (280 N. Grant Ave.)
- Mount Olivet Baptist Church (428 E. Main St.)
- St. Paul A.M.E. Church (639 E. Long St.)
- Trinity Episcopal Church on Capitol Square (125 E. Broad St.)

Other Church Buildings in Downtown Boundaries:
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral (555 N. High St.)
Central Presbyterian Church (132 S. 3rd St.) – Closed in 2011
Christian Spiritualist Temple (77 S. 6th St.)
East Mound Street Church of Christ (491 E. Mound St.)
Welsh Presbyterian Church (315 E. Long St., Formerly Faith Mission)


Next Toursday (April 10th): Linden

Downtown Historic Landmarks:

Downtown Columbus has changed in its 202 year history.  Gone are landmarks like the Central Market (razed in 1966), the Deshler-Wallick Hotel (razed in 1970), the Hartman Hotel (razed in 1971), the Chittenden Hotel (razed in 1972), the Old County Courthouse (razed in 1975), Union Station (razed in 1976), the Neil House Hotel (razed in 1981), (most of) the Old Deaf School (burned in 1981, razed in 1983), and City Center Mall (razed in 2009-10).  The ones that are left have a valuable meaning to the city’s history, and some of them are on the National Registry of Historic Places.

Photos:
- Old Post Office (100 S. 3rd St.) – This building was once the home of the Franklin County Courthouse (it moved to High & Mound) and primarily the Main Post Office.  It is now home to a law firm.
- Franklin County Courthouse (369-75 S. High St.) – This is the Franklin County Government Center, which was built from 1975 to 1979, replacing the Courthouse that stood on that site from 1885 to 1974.
- Kelton House (586 E. Town St.) – This was the home of the Kelton Family, who lived in this house from 1852 to 1976.  After the death of Grace Kelton in 1976, this house became a museum.
- St. Patrick’s Church (280 N. Grant Ave.) – This Catholic Parish was the heart and soul of the Irish Community of “Irish Broadway” in the late 19th Century.
- Columbus Club (181 E. Broad St.) – This private Club is the last of the Broad Street mansions on that side of Interstate 71.
- Cultural Arts Center (139 W. Main St.) – The former Armory became an Arts Center (run by Columbus Parks and Recreation) in the late 1970s.
- Arch Park/McFerson Commons (Nationwide Blvd. & John H. McConnell Blvd.) – The Arch in Arch Park was the surviving piece of architecture of the Old Union Station Terminal Arcade from the “Friday Night Massacre”, where Union Station was torn down in the middle of the night in October 1976.  Arch Park moved to its current location in 1999, after spending 20 years outside of One Nationwide Plaza.
- Kappa Kappa Gamma/Snowden House (530 E. Town St.) – This house became the headquarters of Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority.
- Columbus Performing Arts Center/Davis Discovery Center (549 Franklin Ave.) – These two houses on Franklin Avenue were made into a theatre.  Players Theatre was located there until 1989 (when it moved to the Vern Riffe Center, before folding a couple years later).  From 1990 to 2008, the Davis Performing Arts Programs were held at the Samuel S. Davis Discovery Center, which was renamed the Columbus Performing Arts Center (CPAC) in 2004.  Theatre and performance troupes still perform at CPAC year-round, although it is no longer City-operated.
- Old Deaf School (400 E. Town St.) – This is the remaining building from the Old Deaf School.  For years, it was an office space.  In the fall of 2014, it will be home to a private Catholic School, the Cristo Rey Academy.

A Trip Around Columbus: Downtown Columbus

 

Downtown is the center of Columbus, Ohio.  Columbus was built in 1812 for the sole purpose of being the state Capital of Ohio.  Downtown Columbus, for decades was the center of Columbus’s economy.  It still is the center for the government of not just the City of Columbus, but for Franklin County and the State of Ohio, as County Offices and State Offices are located in Downtown Columbus. 

Downtown Columbus is full of buildings, both old and new.  The Discovery District, the eastern part of Downtown is home to three colleges, plus two Historic Districts (Town-Franklin and Jefferson Avenue), and several historic buildings and architecture.  The Arena District, the northwest corner of Downtown, has been formed over the last 15 years, to be the home of the National Hockey League’s Columbus Blue Jackets, while building an entertainment district and commercial offices surrounding Nationwide Arena. 

To say that Downtown shuts down after five in the evening is an urban myth.  There is a lot to do around Downtown Columbus, although gone are the days of Lazarus and City Center.  Downtown is vibrant in the summer with events at Columbus Commons and the Scioto Mile, and the monthly Moonlight Market Series along a one-block stretch of Gay Street.  The Columbus Arts Festival, Red, White, and Boom Fireworks Show, and the Jazz and Rib Fest are some of the festivals that happen around Columbus (the Independent’s Day Festival was held in Downtown from 2008 to 2013).

 

CITY: Columbus
SCHOOL DISTRICT: Columbus City Schools
BUS ACCESSIBLE: Yes (COTA – All Local and Express Lines)
SCHOOLS: Fort Hayes Arts and Academic High School/Career Center (546 Jack Gibbs Blvd.), Arts Impact Middle School (540 Jack Gibbs Blvd.), Downtown High School (364 S. 4th St.)
BOUNDARIES: (North) I-670; (East) I-71; (West) Scioto/Olentangy Rivers; (South) I-70/71
MAJOR STREETS: High Street, Broad Street, Main Street, Grant Avenue, Cleveland Avenue, Long Street, Spring Street, Town Street, Rich Street, 3rd Street, 4th Street, Nationwide Boulevard, and Neil Avenue

LANDMARKS:
(SMG) Arena Grand: 175 W. Nationwide Blvd.
Columbus Athletic Club: 136 E. Broad St.
Columbus City Hall: 90 W. Broad St.
Columbus College of Art and Design: 107 N. 9th St.
Columbus Commons: 160 S. High St.
Columbus Museum of Art: 480 E. Broad St.
Columbus State Community College: 550 E. Spring St.
Experience Columbus: 277 W. Nationwide Blvd.
Franklin University: 301 E. Rich St.
Grant Hospital: 111 S. Grant Ave.
Greater Columbus Convention Center: 400 N. High St.
Huntington Park: Neil Ave. & W. Nationwide Blvd.
Lazarus Building: 109 S. High St., 150 S. Front St., and 50 W. Town St.
Main Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library: 96 S. Grant Ave.
Nationwide Arena: 200 W. Nationwide Blvd.
The North Market: 29 Spruce St.
The Ohio Statehouse: 1 Ohio Statehouse (E. Broad St. & S. High St.)
The Ohio Theatre: 39 E. State St.
The Palace Theatre: 34 W. Broad St.
Riffe Center: 77 S. High St.
Scioto Mile/Bicentennial Park: 233 Civic Center Drive
Southern Theatre: 21 E. Main St.
Topiary Park: 480 E. Town St.

LINKS:
Center for the Association of Performing Arts (CAPA): http://www.capa.com
City of Columbus: http://www.columbus.gov
Columbus College of Art and Design: http://www.ccad.edu
Columbus Commons: http://www.columbuscommons.org
Columbus Historical Society: http://www.columbushistory.org
Columbus Metropolitan Library: http://www.columbuslibrary.org
Columbus Museum of Art: http://www.columbusmuseum.org
Columbus State Community College: http://www.cscc.edu
Discovery District: http://www.discoverydistrict.com
Downtown Resident’s Association (DRAC): http://www.dracolumbus.com
Experience Columbus: http://www.experiencecolumbus.com
Franklin University: http://www.franklin.edu
Gay Street District: http://www.moonlightmarketcolumbus.com/ (Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GayStreetDistrict)
Greater Columbus Arts Council (GCAC): http://www.gcac.org
Greater Columbus Sports Commission (GCSC): http://www.columbussports.org 
The North Market: http://www.northmarket.com
Ohio Statehouse: http://www.ohiostatehouse.org
Scioto Mile: http://www.sciotomile.com
Topiary Park: http://www.topiarygarden.org

 

Downtown: High Street


High Street is the major north-south road in Franklin County, dividing the east and west halves of the city.  From the north is the burgeoning Short North Arts District and the Ohio State University Campus, and from the south is the Brewery District and Historic German Village.  The Franklin County Courthouse, Ohio Statehouse, Vern Riffe Center, and the headquarters for both Huntington Bank and Nationwide Insurance all line up High Street from Fulton to Goodale.

Photos:
- Courthouse (345 S. High Street) – This building opened in 2011 as an energy-efficient building and to expand the Courthouse.
- Schlee-Kemmler Bldg (326 S. High Street) – Built in 1895
- Westin Great Southern Hotel (310 S. High Street) – Built in 1897 at the Great Southern Hotel, the Southern Theatre (to the rear of the hotel on Main Street) hosts musical and theatre performances year-round.
- Columbus Commons (160 S. High Street) – From 1989 to 2009, City Center Mall stood in Downtown Columbus.  It was torn down and replaced with Columbus Commons, which opened in the Spring of 2011, and the Highpoint buildings (on High Street), which will open in 2014.
- Lazarus (151 S. High Street; 1851-2004) – From 1909 to 2004, the Lazarus Building was home to Lazarus, and was where generations of families shopped in Downtown Columbus for over 150 years.  The building was re-developed, and is home to the Ohio State University’s Urban Arts Space and the Columbus Chamber of Commerce (among organizations).  The Chintz Room, a Lazarus favorite, in terms of dining, is being revived by local restauranteur Liz Lessner.
- Vern Riffe Center (77 S. High St.) – The Riffe Center opened in 1990 on the site of the former Neil House Hotel.  The Riffe Center’s three theatres house theatrical performances year-round, and many State Politicians have offices in the Riffe Center.
- The Ohio Statehouse – Built in 1838, it took 23 years to complete the Statehouse, which has been called “The People’s House” for the State of Ohio.
- One Nationwide – One Nationwide Plaza was built in 1977, to be the headquarters of Nationwide Insurance.
- Sensenbrenner Pocket Park (High Street & Nationwide Boulevard) – This pocket park was built in 1980, in honor of former Columbus Mayor Maynard “Jack” Sensenbrenner.
- The Greater Columbus Convention Center (400 N. High St.) – The Convention Center is getting a renovation starting in 2014.  The Convention Center was built in the 1990s, attached to the old Ohio Center Mall that was built in 1980 at Nationwide and High.  The Convention Center hosts tradeshows and expos year-round.

Next Toursday (April 10th): Linden

Downtown: Broad Street

Broad Street is the east/west road through Franklin County, and divides the city in two (north and south).  There are lots of businesses in this mile-long stretch of Broad Street in Downtown, and a lot of historic buildings.  The National Football League got its start at 20 East Broad Street in 1920.  The Wendy’s (Fast Food) Restaurant got its start on 257 East Broad Street, opening up at the former Henrich’s Tommy Steak House restaurant on November 15, 1969, and being the anchor restaurant of the Company for 37 years.  COSI was across the street at 280 East Broad Street (at the former Memorial Hall) from 1964 to 1999, when it moved into the former Central High School (across the Scioto River).  The Christopher Inn was next to COSI from 1963 to 1988.  Marzetti’s and Maramor were restaurants on Broad Street (they’re both gone too).  There are historic buildings such as City Hall, the LeVeque Tower (the American Insurance Union Citadel Building for short), the Athletic Club, the Columbus Club, and the Columbus Museum of Art.  During the Holiday season, the “Christmas Corner” can be seen on Broad Street in the front of the State Auto Insurance Building.

Photos:
- City Hall (90 W. Broad St.) – Built in 1928.  The Christopher Columbus Statue in front was given to the City in 1955 from Sister City Genoa, Italy.
- LeVeque Tower (50 W. Broad St.)
- Palace Theatre (34 W. Broad St.)
- Wyandotte Bldg (21 W. Broad St.)
- Rhodes Tower (30 E. Broad St.) – The tallest building in Columbus when built in 1974, edging out the nearby LeVeque Tower.
- Athletic Club (136 E. Broad St.) – Built in 1912
- Byers Bldg (366-90 E. Broad St.) – Formerly a car dealership, 390 East Broad Street was taken by the Columbus College of Art and Design, and home of the art college’s MindMarket.
- Seneca Bldg (361 E. Broad St.) – This former hotel, left vacant for years, sprung to life in the last 10 years as an apartment building.
- Bluestone (583 E. Broad St.) – This former church became an upscale nightclub in 2006 for a couple of years, and is now an event space.
- Ohio Farm Bureau Federation Offices (620 & 630 E. Broad St.) – Nationwide Insurance was born as the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation in 1925 at 620 and 630 East Broad Street (sandwiched between Jefferson Avenue and the I-71 Exit Ramp).